Asbury Park Beach
A limited number of daily beach passes will be available for purchase exclusively through the Viply mobile app each day starting at 6:30pm, for the following day only, and will be available until quantities sell out. See below for more information. We suggest checking the Viply app to see if daily passes are sold out before heading to the beach.
Season badges are now sold out for the 2020 Season. No additional badges will be sold.
Please note: Parking fees are non-refundable - be sure you have a beach pass before paying for parking.
Starting June 15, 2020, Beach Passes or Season Badges are needed 7 days a week to access the beach during beach hours (see below).
Please be sure to follow all beach regulations and abide by Asbury Park Beach & Boardwalk Covid-19 safety measures:
- Social Distancing Required
- Face Covering/Mask Required When on Boardwalk
- Face Covering/Mask Required When Entering or Exiting Beach on Beach Entry Ramps
- Face Covering/Mask Required When Using Restroom Facilitates
- Please Keep Moving: No Stopping or Standing Permitted on Boardwalk (No Chairs, Towels/Blankets Permitted)
“Asbury Park Boardwalk and Beaches will be open for Memorial Day Weekend. We know our residents are looking forward to summer. And, Asbury Park has always welcomed visitors—we know how much they help our economy,” said Mayor John Moor, “That said, this is not a normal summer season. We are in the middle of a pandemic, and we need to be smart. We are going to have to limit numbers, practice social distancing, wear face coverings and masks, and make the experience as contactless as possible for the safety of beach visitors and our staff. Our goal is to keep our residents and visitors safe and keep our boardwalk and beaches open. We thank everyone for their continued efforts and cooperation in helping to make 2020 a healthy and enjoyable summer for all.”
2020 Summer Beach Season
The 2020 beach season is from Memorial Day Weekend (Saturday, May 23) through at least Labor Day Weekend (Monday, September 7). Additional September weekends may be added after Labor Day, depending on weather and water conditions.
- Monday to Friday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Weekends and Holidays: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
During these hours beach passes (wristbands or badges) are required to enter the beach, there will be lifeguards on duty, and buoys and ropes marking off the areas for swimming. Keep an eye out for the safe conditions flag: if the water is rough, follow lifeguard instructions to leave the water. Please do not swim when lifeguards are not on duty.
Asbury Park Boardwalk
- Pedestrians are asked to stay to the right when walking. Please follow signage and markings on the Boardwalk. Please keep moving, no stopping or standing is permitted on Boardwalk.
- Social distancing will be required on the Boardwalk.
- No chairs, towels/blankets etc are permitted on the Boardwalk.
- Wear face coverings or masks (except in the cases where doing so would inhibit that individual’s health or where the individual is under two years of age) when: Walking on the Boardwalk; Entering or exiting the beach on beach entry ramps; Using restroom facilities. Face coverings/masks do not need to be worn when swimming or sunbathing
- City ordinance prohibits dogs on the Boardwalk from May 16 to September 14.
- City ordinance prohibits bicycles on the Boardwalk between 10am and midnight.
- City ordinance prohibits skates, rollerblades, skateboards, and scooters (except handicap vehicles) on the Boardwalk at all times.
2020 Beach Season Policies
To provide a safe and healthy environment for beach visitors during the COVID-19 pandemic, and comply with the latest State and Federal guidance, the City has developed an opening plan resulting from a culmination of efforts by City Council, the Beach Office, the Department of Public Works, the Office of Emergency Management and the Asbury Park Police Department. The City will evaluate the beach program daily throughout the 2020 Season and make safety adjustments as needed.
Social distancing will be required on the beach – groups of beach patrons (families, household members, caretakers, couples) must sit at least six (6) feet apart from others.
Wear face coverings or masks when walking on the Boardwalk, entering or exiting the beach on beach entry ramps, and using the restroom facilities. Face coverings or masks do not need to be worn when swimming or sunbathing.
Overall beach capacity will be controlled for the 2020 Season due to the COVID-19 pandemic by limiting the number of beach passes sold. Individual areas of the beach will be monitored daily and beach entry points may be closed to ensure proper social distancing.
2020 Beach Entry Ramps
Access to the beach will be available at the following beach entrances for the 2020 Season:
Asbury Park Casino, First Avenue, Second Avenue, Third Avenue, Fifth Avenue, Sixth Avenue, Seventh Avenue, and Deal Lake Drive.
2020 Beach Pass Rates
To access the beach, beach passes (badges or wristbands) must be worn at all times and will be checked on your way onto the sand. Beach passes will be required to access Asbury Park beaches beginning Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 9am and will be required through at least the Monday of Labor Day Weekend. Please note: Beach passes are not required on weekdays from May 26, 2020 through June 12, 2020. Beach passes will be required on weekdays starting June 15, 2020.
All sales for beach passes for the 2020 Season will be done exclusively through the Viply mobile app (www.viplypass.com/asburypark). For the 2020 Season all beach pass purchases will be cashless.
Daily Beach Passes
- A limited number of daily beach passes will be available for purchase exclusively through Viply each day at 6:30pm, for the following day only, and will be available until quantities sell out.
- Daily beach passes can only be used for the day they are purchased.
- Each app user is permitted to purchase a maximum of four (4) daily beach passes each day.
- For any Viply purchases of daily passes, you do not need to go to the Beach Office or Beach Booth, go directly to any beach entry point and simply scan in your app with the beach badge checker who will give you a wristband that is valid for the day.
- Daily pass holders will always have access to the beach, though there may be times where specific entries points are closed in order to ensure proper social distancing.
- A small quantity of daily passes will be available for sale each day in-person at the Beach Office starting at 9am to accommodate those who can’t access a mobile device to purchase through the Viply app. Passes will be sold on a first-come/first-sold basis until sold out. All transactions will be by credit card only. No cash will be accepted.
- 2020 Season daily rates: Monday to Friday: $5; Weekends and Holidays: $7
- Children under 12 are free and do not need a beach pass to access the beach, but must be supervised by an adult.
- No refunds for daily passes will be given for any reason, including weather or beach closures.
Seasonal Beach Badges
- Season badges are now sold out for the 2020 Season. No additional badges will be sold.
- No refunds for season badges will be given for any reason, including weather or beach closures. Beach badge fees cannot be prorated for badges bought later in the 2020 Season. Season badges cannot be replaced if lost or stolen.
- Season badge holders will always have access to the beach, though there may be times where specific entries points are closed in order to ensure proper social distancing.
- For those that have purchased their Season Badge through Viply, they can be picked up at the Beach Office located at First Avenue on the Boardwalk during Beach Office Hours.
Season Beach Badge Gift Certificates
- Gift certificates purchased for the 2020 Season will be honored and can be exchanged for a season beach badge. For redemption instructions, email email@example.com.
- For those that do not want to visit the beach in 2020, you have the option of deferring your gift certificate to 2021. To do so, please email firstname.lastname@example.org stating that you would like to defer your 2020 gift certificate to 2021 and send a picture of your gift certificate. You will need to present the physical 2020 gift certificate in 2021 to redeem it for a season badge. Gift certificates cannot be replaced if lost or stolen.
Beach Passes for Active Military Personnel and Veterans
- Active Military Personnel and their dependents, will be admitted free of charge
- Retired, Disabled and Non-Active Veterans will be admitted free of charge
- Active Military Personnel and Veterans must present a Uniformed Services ID Card or an Award Letter from the Department of Veteran Affairs at the at the 3rd Avenue or 6th Avenue Ticket Booths on the Boardwalk in exchange for free daily passes.
- Monday to Friday: $5
- Weekends and Holidays: $7
- Adults: $70
- Kids 12 and under, Active Military Personnel and their dependents, Disabled Veterans: Free
- Teens (13 to 17) and Seniors (62-plus with valid ID): $20
Buy your beach pass through the Viply smartphone app, available on iPhone and Android.
- No new beach lockers will be assigned for 2020 due to COVID-19 restrictions.
- Any questions about the current wait list will be answered at the end of the season.
- Beach storage lockers are available for rent to seasonal beach pass holders on a first come/first served basis. Lockers are available for use starting the Friday of Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day and must be emptied by the Tuesday after Labor Day.
- The renewal deadline for 2020 Beach Lockers is June 1, 2020. The rate is $225. Renewal forms can be returned by mail along with a check made out to "The City of Asbury Park.
- Wait list information: If you did not receive a locker this year, your place on the waiting list will be kept for next year. Questions regarding where you are on the waiting list will be answered once the 2020 Season is over. Any applications received will be kept on file for future seasons for up to 5 years as the wait list is extensive. To be added to the first come/first served wait list, fill out a Beach Locker Application.
- For questions, email email@example.com. Please note, any questions about the current wait list will be answered at the end of the season.
Tents and Canopies Prohibited
New for this year, tents, canopies and similar enclosures/weather shields are prohibited on City beaches, with the following exceptions:
- Baby tents no larger than forty-eight (48) inches high by forty-nine (49) inches wide by thirty-six (36) inches deep which are utilized for infants and small children.
- Traditional collapsible umbrellas utilized for shade purposes and/or protection from the weather, consisting of fabric stretched over hinged ribs radiating from a central pole, with a diameter, when opened, not to exceed six (6) feet wide.
- A fabric shield which is attached to and extends outward from the top of a beach chair to provide shade to the occupant who is seated in the beach chair.
Public Restrooms, Showers, Water Fountains
- Please wear face coverings or masks when using restroom facilities.
- New policies and procedures have been implemented for regular cleaning.
- Restrooms will be available at the following locations: First Avenue, Fourth Avenue, Asbury Park Convention Hall (entrance from beach), Sixth Avenue, Seventh Avenue and Deal Lake Drive
- Restroom Hours:
- First Avenue: 8am to 8pm
- Fourth Avenue: 8am to 6pm (Starting 7/20, 8am to 8pm)
- Asbury Park Convention Hall: 6am to 12midnight
- Seventh Avenue and Deal Lake Drive: Weekdays 9am to 530pm / Weekend and Holidays 9am to 630pm
- Beach showers are available the Deal Lake Drive entrance
- Water fountains and new water bottle refilling stations will be unavailable until further notice.
Beach Umbrella and Chair Rentals
Beach umbrellas and chairs will be available to rent, weather permitting, starting Friday, June 19, 2020. Rentals are available at most beach entrances. Rentals are sanitized after each use.
Rental fee: $10/umbrella; $10/chair. Cash payments only at all rental locations. Credit card payments accepted at Park Beach by Style Rocket located on the Boardwalk at First Avenue.
Free Beach Playgrounds
The playgrounds at 2nd and 7th Avenue are currently closed until further notice.
Free Wifi is available on Asbury Park Beaches and Boardwalk.
WaterWheels Adaptive Chairs
A limited number of handicap beach chairs are available. For details, visit www.cityofasburypark.com/waterwheels.
To host an event on Asbury Park Beaches, contact the Special Events Department for permit and fee information.
For visitor parking information in Asbury Park, click here.
From May 16 to September 14
Dogs in Asbury Park can enjoy the Eighth Avenue Dog Beach during specified hours:
- Construction on the north end is now complete. The Eighth Avenue Dog Beach is accessible by the path from Fisherman’s Parking Lot. In addition, while dogs are not permitted on the boardwalk from May 16 to September 14, they may use the entrance at Deal Lake Drive (across from Asbury Tower) and cross over the boardwalk north to the Surf Beach entrance to access the dog beach after 6pm only.
- Dogs that are licensed and supervised are allowed on the Eighth Avenue Dog Beach from May 16 to September 14 from 6 p.m. to 8:30 a.m. only. Dogs must be off the beach by 8:30 a.m. Dogs may be off leash on the Eight Avenue Dog Beach if properly supervised. Dogs that become aggressive or uncontrollable must be immediately leashed and removed from the area. Dog handlers must always and immediately clean up after their dogs.
- Dogs are not permitted on beaches other than the Eighth Avenue Dog Beach.
- Dogs are not permitted on the Boardwalk from May 16 to September 14.
- Please keep dogs off the dunes.
From September 15 through May 15
Dogs in Asbury Park can enjoy the boardwalk and Eight Avenue Dog Beach:
- Dogs that are licensed, supervised, and leashed are welcome on the Boardwalk at all times from September 15 to May 15. Dogs must be leashed at all times while on the boardwalk.
- Dogs that are licensed and supervised are allowed on the Eighth Avenue Dog Beach at all times from September 15 to May 15. Dogs may be off leash on the Eight Avenue Dog Beach if properly supervised. Dogs that become aggressive or uncontrollable must be immediately leashed and removed from the area. Dog handlers must always and immediately clean up after their dogs.
- Dogs are not permitted on beaches other than the Eighth Avenue Dog Beach.
- Please keep dogs off dunes.
- All dogs must wear collars with valid dog licenses.
- All dogs must be on a leash (unless in the designated off-leash area on the Eight Avenue Beach).
- Dog handlers must remain with their dogs and supervise their dogs at all times.
- Dog handlers must always and immediately clean up after their dogs.
- Dog handlers are strictly liable for any incidents that occur involving their dogs.
Bicycles are not allowed on the boardwalk from 10 a.m. to Midnight (midnight) (Ordinance 5-4.9)
Skates, rollerblades, skateboards, and scooters (except handicap vehicles) are prohibited on the boardwalk.
The area between the jetties on Deal Lake Drive and Eighth Avenue is a closed-to-the-public, surfing-only beach from June 15 through Labor Day
Asbury is home to the Asbury Park Fishing Club, the country’s oldest saltwater fishing club. Before you start reeling in the big catches, you are required to register with the New Jersey Saltwater Registry.
Fishing is prohibited near bathing areas.
Rules & Regulations
- Asbury Park Beaches are smoke-free (NJ State Law).
- Alcohol and glass containers are prohibited.
- All children in diapers must wear plastic pants with tight-fitting waist and leg bands. Do not wash out diapers in the bathing water.
- Children should be encouraged to use the restroom before entering the water. Immediately report any accidents to the lifeguard.
- Conduct that endangers the safety and comfort of others shall be prohibited.
- Do not enter the water if you are experiencing or recovering from diarrhea or having any signs or symptoms of gastrointestinal (stomach) disease in the last seven days.
- Outdoor bathing shall be prohibited during an electrical storm.
- Persons suspected of being under the influence of drugs or alcohol shall be prohibited from entering the water.
For questions, call the Asbury Park Beach Office at 732-502-8863 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.