Important Note: All City facilities are currently closed to the public. During that time, for any social service needs or questions, call 732-502-4528.
The mission of the Asbury Park Department of Social Services is to promote the health and well being of the citizens of Asbury Park.
The Department of Social Services assists residents to live better lives. A specialized staff including a licensed counselor, community health nurse, the Asbury Park Senior Center director and community outreach worker.
The Department of Social Services also interfaces with each City Department and community service providers in a continued effort to coordinate and advocate on behalf of the special needs and at-risk population, to address their various quality of life issues.
The department provides the following:
- Advocacy for residents’ needs
- Assessment and evaluation
- Community outreach
- Crisis intervention
- Friendly visiting, assistance with transportation for medical purposes, and nursing services for senior citizens, at-risk members of the community, and the elderly frail
- Programs and opportunities for children and senior citizens
- Referrals to supportive services and agencies
In addition, the Department provides specific services which include but are not limited to:
- Advocating for social causes
- Coordinating organizations and community service providers in their obligations to individuals
- Evaluating the capabilities of individuals to care for themselves, their children and other dependents
- Facilitating services
- Linking clients to resources
- Organizing community social and outreach events
- Helping residents to obtain adequate financial resources for their needs
The Department also provides screening at the municipal court level in an effort to link at-risk individuals to appropriate mental health and substance abuse services as a possible alternative to entry into the Criminal Justice System.