Planning & Redevelopment
The Department of Planning and Redevelopment strives to effectively encourage and support appropriate land development and redevelopment within the City of Asbury Park. We provide recommendations and assistance to the City Council, various land use boards, and the public.
We also administer the municipal Green Team and maintain the City's Sustainable New Jersey Certification. Within this department, each staff member performs multiple roles, thus providing a variety of vital services to the community.
The Department is the home to the Municipal Land Use Boards:
The Department continually strives to improve local ordinances and redevelopment plans to make them more user-friendly, address new situations, and correct deficiencies.
- Amended the Central Business District Redevelopment Plan to allow for the City's first craft distillery and bringing service uses back to Cookman Avenue.
- Amended the Waterfront Redevelopment Plan area permitting smaller scale development that is less than a city block.
- Completed a strategic revitalization plan for the West Side neighborhood of Asbury Park.
- Earned Silver Level Certification by Sustainable Jersey, which is a prestigious designation demonstrating a municipal government’s commitment to the environment;
- Hosted the first "Better Block" event on Springwood Avenue to show how revitalization of a single commercial block in an underused neighborhood corridor can positively impact the surrounding community as a whole.
- 2012 Monmouth County Planning Board Merit Award for Springwood Center Redevelopment Project 2012
- 2016 State of New Jersey Street Smart Award
- 2018 Great Places in New Jersey Designation from the New Jersey Chapter of the American Planning Association.
- 2018 Sustainable New Jersey Silver Certification.
Director of Planning
Michele Alonso, Director, serves as Redevelopment Coordinator, Development Coordinator, and City Planner. In addition, she is the coordinator for the Springwood Avenue Brownfield Development Area, project manager for EPA Brownfield and Petroleum Clean-up grants, and Green Team administrator.
All applications to the Technical Review Committee, Planning Board and Zoning Board of Adjustment are sent to her attention for review. In addition, she receives requests for amendments to redevelopment plans.
Barbara Van Wagner, Assistant Planner, serves as Zoning Officer as well as the Secretary for both the Zoning Board of Adjustment and Planning Board. She ensures that all residential and commercial uses conform to the City’s zoning requirements.
Since zoning approval needs to be obtained prior to the commencement of any construction work, please email Barbara or call her at 732-502-5708 to determine whether the work proposed complies with all ordinance requirements and whether a permit is required.