You may now submit and pay for all zoning applications online

by signing up for an account at https://www.sdlportal.com/

or by downloading the SDL Citizen app. 

You may also email applications and supporting documents to maryann.gulotta@cityofasburypark.com. Please also mail or drop off the originals, with the correct fees, to the department address on the right. 

See below for application forms & fees. For information, please call 732-502-5724.

Zoning approvals are required for all work that mandates a construction permit and for all fences, driveways, and signage on all residential properties and commercial businesses. Zoning permits can only be issued for structures within your own property lines. Please refer to the Interactive Zoning Map and Interactive Right-of-Way Map below.

Residential and Commercial Improvements

The Schedule of Height, Yard and Bulk Requirements (PDF) provides a guide of the setbacks and bulk requirements for all residential and commercial zones in the city. 

Interactive Zoning Map

Interactive Zoning Map Opens in new windowClick on the image above or here for an interactive Zoning Map.

The Zoning Map (PDF), the Zoning Ordinance and Land Use Regulations, and all Forms and Applications are available online or in-person from the Planning and Redevelopment/Zoning Department on the second floor in City Hall.

Interactive Right-of-Way Map

This interactive map is intended to help residents and/or property owners understand the general location of their property line where it abuts a public right-of-way (ROW). Important note: This map is not a substitute for a property survey.

Interactive ROW Map ThumbnailClick on the image above or here for an interactive Right-of-Way Map.


  • A Certificate of Zoning Compliance costs $20 and is issued for Transfers of Title to verify the use of the site and changes of use, and for new businesses prior to obtaining Mercantile Licenses.
  • Fence and construction permits are $10.
  • Sign permits are $25 for both new and replacement signage.

Additional Zoning Information

When starting a new business, the first step in the process will be to obtain a Zoning Compliance Certificate to determine whether your business in permitted in the specific location you have found. Please also see our helpful brochure on How to Open a Business in Asbury Park. Sidewalk Cafes, Sidewalk Sales, and all signs also require zoning approval.

Forms & Applications