Mercantile License

All businesses in Asbury Park are required to be licensed in order to operate. Mercantile License renewals will begin January 1st and should be completed by January 31st. Late fees will apply after March 1st.

Existing businesses: All existing business were sent renewal invoices. Mercantile License renewal invoice payments can be made online by accessing the direct payment link printed in RED ink on the renewal invoice, or in-person by check or credit card at the Code Enforcement Office located on the 2nd floor of City Hall.

New businesses: Click here to apply for a new Mercantile License online. See instructions below for details.

Requirements and Fees:  Click here see the City's Mercantile Licensing Ordinance.

For questions: Click here to email City of Asbury Park Business Development Director JulieAnn Murray. 

Once you have received a Mercantile License, you may apply for a Sidewalk Business License to operate a café or display goods on the sidewalk adjacent to your business. Click here for information on applying for a Sidewalk Business License. 

Instructions for a New Business to Obtain a City of Asbury Park Mercantile License 

All Applications are to be submitted online using a Spatial Data Logic (SDL) account. In addition to your business insurance, you will need to upload approvals from various City Departments as part of the online application process. Please follow these steps in this order, completing each step before you move onto the next step, to make your Mercantile License application process efficient. 

Step 1.  Planning and Redevelopment Department. Apply to the Zoning Officer for a Zoning Certificate of Compliance to ensure that the business you wish to open is permitted at your desired location.

Also – If you will be doing any construction on the premises before opening your business, you must obtain a Zoning Permit.

Step 2.  Construction Department

  1. If construction is being done on the premises prior to the opening of the business, you must obtain a Construction Permit, and after all the work is complete and inspected you will receive a Certificate of Occupancy.
  2. If no construction is being done on the premises, you will receive a Certificate of Continued Occupancy.

Step 3.  Fire Department. After a satisfactory inspection by the Fire Official, you will receive a Fire Inspection Certificate.

Step 4.  County Health Department. Some businesses (hair salons, tattoo parlors, health clubs, gyms, spas, food establishments, etc.) must be inspected by the Health Department. After a satisfactory inspection you will receive a Health Inspection Certificate.

Step 5.  Code Enforcement Department. After a satisfactory inspection of the premises by the Code Enforcement Department, you will receive a Code Inspection Letter.

Step 6.  Planning and Redevelopment Department. After a satisfactory inspection of the premises by the Zoning Officer, you will receive a Zoning Inspection Letter.

Important Contacts:

  • Business Development 732-502-4579
  • Zoning 732-502-5708
  • Construction 732-502-5722
  • Fire Prevention 732-774-7400
  • Health Department 732-502-5720
  • Code Enforcement 732-502-5742